Donor Relations Manager
The Donor Relations Manager (DRM) will support WYPR’s efforts to reach ambitious, transformative goals to sustain the growth of the station and broaden public radio programming in Maryland. This role will work closely with the Director of Development and the broader development team to identify, cultivate, steward, and solicit donors and prospects at the major gifts levels to fund the operations of the station, capital expenditures, special projects and programming. The ideal individual is a detail-oriented self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and a passion for public radio. A background in Development and Major Giving is essential as well as knowledge of the overall giving community within Maryland.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Build a strong caseload of relationships with current major donors and grow the major gifts program through strategic qualifying, cultivating, stewarding, and soliciting.
- Work with the Dir. Of Development to recommend annual goals for major donors and reassess annually.
- Master and make use of all available tools as well as proven and documented methods in tracking major gifts through all steps in the donor’s relationship with WYPR.
- Build upon the planned giving program with solicitations, mailings, and managing on-air spots to promote the overall program.
- Collaborate effectively across departments and with WYPR’s Board of Directors using strong interpersonal skills. Those skills are critical as the DRM would work with board members, the development committee, and all departments at the station to attain the overall development fundraising goals.
- Collaborate with membership and event staff for fundraising and marketing events to steward and cultivate donors and prospects.
- Strategically position WYPR leaders for meetings with key donors, prospects, and community stakeholders.
- Act as a station representative/ambassador at most WYPR functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree, in related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of proven success in attaining established fundraising goals and growing major philanthropic gifts in a development operation.
- Ability to adeptly manage multiple, large-scale projects at once and to prioritize competing deadlines.
- Passion for WYPR, in-depth knowledge of NPR and public media in general, current familiarity of Baltimore philanthropic communities strongly preferred.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, including strong oral communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft 365 and experience with a CRM database.
- Proven understanding and use of the moves management process.
- Highly motivated, organized, flexible and proactive, with strong project management skills.
- Self-starter with ability to get up to speed quickly and work independently.
- Must be able attend WYPR events on weekends and evenings.
- Candidates must demonstrate a willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Change/Adaptability/Flexibility: Adapts to change that benefits Your Public Radio, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
- Communication: Communicates well both verbally and in writing, promptly shares information and ideas with others throughout the organization as appropriate, has active listening skills, can negotiate and persuade as needed.
- Results Focus/Initiative: Targets and achieves results, sets challenging goals, prioritizes tasks, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets high standards and takes responsibility, provides leadership/motivation.
- Collaboration: Working collaboratively with others to solve problems, achieve common goals and positive results. Listens to others and values opinions. Is open with other team members and expresses disagreement constructively. Seeks opportunities to work on teams as a means to develop experience and knowledge.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- One to three years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Highly organized and able to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and independently.
- Proven experience entering and maintaining complex financial data and managing database.
- Customer service experience and the desire to exceed member expectations.
- Proficient in standard computer applications (Outlook, Excel, Word).
- Represent WYPR at events and public functions on evenings and weekends occasionally as needed.
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to effectively interface with staff, Board members, community members, and volunteers.
- A strong affinity and enthusiasm for public radio (bordering on obsession is preferable.)
- The ability to lift 45 pounds regularly.
Candidates can also apply with cover letter and resume by mail to: Business Manager, 2216 N. Charles St., Baltimore., MD 21218. WYPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls, please.
WYPR is a long-standing, reliable source of news, captivating programming and community engagement in the greater Baltimore and Maryland region. The mission of Your Public Radio Corporation is to inform, connect and even challenge the listeners we serve in the metropolitan Baltimore area and the State of Maryland by broadcasting programs of intellectual integrity and cultural merit so as to provide an unbiased perspective of the events of today and to enrich the minds and spirits of our audience.